Sunday, June 29, 2008

I Should Have Guessed...

Today eight-year-old grandson Lincoln gave me a jelly bean to taste.
Just one. One little jelly bean. I should have suspected something.
Not just your ordinary run-of-the-mill jelly bean.
It was a weird yellowish green color with some dark flecks sprinkled in.

I popped it into my mouth. He watched eagerly.
I should have guessed something was up.

"What's it taste like, Meemaw?" he asked.
"Well," I chewed and tasted and tasted and chewed. Very slowly.
"I'm not sure...but it is..."
Nasty, I thought to myself. Nasty.
I couldn't place the taste. But it was vaguely familiar.

"It's buger. It's buger flavored, Meemaw!"
Akky. That was it. That was the flavor. I knew it from some 65 years ago.
It was one of those "flavors" you just don't forget.
(Why do kids think they have to taste their bugers?)

At this point the jelly bean was the consistancy of sticky and slimy, laced with small soft chunks.
I tried to swallow it but it wouldn't go down. Tried again.
Gag.
And I tried again. I didn't want to puke.

As I delicately spit it out into a kleenex, Lincoln was cracking up.
He showed me the package of Jelly Belly "Bean Boozled" candies his big brother JD had received as a gift from Uncle Josh.
Gross. Gag. Ack.

I am left with one question: How many bugers did the developer have to taste to perfect that exact jelly bean flavor?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool post, meemaw. people don't really like boogers at all. it had to be annoying to have a booger flavored jelly bean on your birthday, well sort of on your birthday. love you, meemaw.

boogers... NASTY!!!!

The Lady with the Dragon Tattoo said...

That is funny and gross. At least it was the vomit tasting ones. I meant to tell you this Saturday, but today I finally get to slow down long enough to sit at my computer and that is Happy Birthday. Rather it is now Happy UnBirthday. Either way I hope it was a great celebration booger jelly beans and all.

merrill5 said...

yes my dear, after teaching 1st grade for so long I've tried the booger flavor, along with dirt, sardines, vomit, and black pepper flavored jelly bellys.