Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Song for Every Occasion

My mom was full of songs. She had a song for every occasion. And she sang all the time.

I guess I inheirited her gift.

There are words that can be spoken during an ordinary conversation that will just trigger a song. My grandkids think I am making up songs to go with their words. Not so. I have my mom's gift. Those ordinary words bring forth the song.

Yesterday a butterfly came fluttering through the house. Levi commented, "Look at that crazy butterfly." Whoops. Here comes a line from a song: "I'm crazy about you, you butterfly."

Levi just looked at me like as if to say, "Meemaw, where do you come up with those songs?" So I showed him. I pulled up my iTunes and there it was. Andy Williams, "Butterfly." I proudly played it for him. He was impressed only a wee bit. It's a 50's tune, and a tad out of style, so he wasn't interested in hearing the whole (short) thing.

The reason I know so many words to so many songs is because my mother sang all the time. She always had a song in her heart. I learned all the oldies from her (and I do mean OLDIES...she died last year at the age of 88...her favorite singer was Rudy Vallee). I remember all the songs I sang in Sunday School. I can still recall the words to the hymns we sang in church. And now those "new-fangled" tunes from HPC, Hillsong and Delirious roll around in my head.

Music buries deep inside our hearts. That's why it's important that we pump good music into our ears. Negative stuff drags us down. Happy music lifts the spirit.

I want to be able to reach into my soul and pull out a song of praise to my Lord when I am feeling blue--it will put me back into a right spirit.

I'll sing the story of Jesus at the kitchen sink or at a CarePoint along with the little kids who are learning about his love.

I want to sing when I'm healthy, and sing my way through sickness. I want to sing when the night is dark. I want to sing in the sunshine, I want to sing in the rain (uh oh...here comes another song--can you guess what it is?)

Jesus has put a new song in my heart. I have a reason to sing!

2 comments:

danohlerking said...

you said "sunshine" - you know where that takes me. i think i've inherited your "gift" (if that's what this is...).

i get similar reactions from lincoln when i break into song.

it certainly makes life interesting.

Tom and Jan Bougher said...

Okay - so Mom got music in your head....tell me about it. I preached on Mother's Day, just a few Sunday's back and found myself ending the service with one of Mom's songs - "It matters to him about you" The folks in the church couldn't hear her, but I did. Have you heard Natalie Cole sing along with Nat King Cole - her dad, via tape? I felt like, I could hear Mom singing alto with me from heaven. You know she liked altar calls! She believed every sermon was worthless without one. I caught that song too. We were taught so many lessons through our Mom's music. And the legacy of Gospel music continues. You will never see Vera Mae on a Bill Gaither Video, but her songs continue to play in our hearts and our kids are hearing the message ... even if they think that's an old one. Keep Singing Sis!