Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 Five Years Later








I am in my hometown of Des Moines, Iowa. I'm here to visit my dad and other family members before we return once again to Swaziland.

Last night after church my brother and his wife drove me through an awesome display commemorating that horrific attack on America.

It was on an insurance company grounds...and in the midst of a fall rainshower I saw flags. Hundreds and hundreds of Old Glory flying in the spot lights. As we drove through the acres of display, with the wind blowing those flags in the weather...I noticed that on each flag pole there was a yellow ribbon. On the streamer of the ribbons there is a name written.

Bud told me that there is a flag for each person who died that day. A name on each flag. And the sky seemed to be crying on them.

It was extrememly emotional to say the least.

I snapped a few photos from the car in the rain.


I am recalling where I was when this all took place five years ago.

I was in Zimbabwe with Ben and Susan. Dave was in the USA, planning to come in a couple of weeks. Ben called Susan and me (we were shopping in an open air market), and after he told Susan, she handed me the phone and he reported the event--stating that there were a couple of other planes they were concerned about.

We hurried back to the house and turned on the TV, watching CNN International in horror as they re-ran the video of the towers in New York.

The thing that impressed me the most in the days following was the respect and love extended to me as we went out in the public. Complete strangers would stop me on the street and say, "You're an American...I want you to know that I am so, so sorry about what happened."


The TV this morning is commemorating the fifth anniversary of the terror attack on America. The memories all come rushing back. Even though I was half-way around the world at the time, I felt vulnerable and personally attacked.

Do you recall where you were at the time? What your immediate feelings were? Did you lose someone?

One good thing came out of this: America stood together like glue. We helped each other recover. We flew the flag with pride and with a face to the enemy that showed our unity and strength.

God Bless America.

No comments: