Friday, August 25, 2006

Bad Day Tale #2

My friend, Angie, after reading my brother's blog about his crazy day yesterday, sent me this version of hers--same date as Tom's (Angie doesn't have her own blog, but if things like this keep happening, I'm gonna push that she starts one of her own. The world needs to know about these things):

****

Sounds a little bit like my day yesterday although mine was to a minor degree
compared to Tom's day!

I have this car with "automatic" door locks in the sense that when you push down one lock, the other 3 lock down too. Also works in reverse...unlock 1...all 4 unlock.

Well, I was running errands and decided to call a local restaurant and order a "din-din" to go. Got there and proceeded to unlock the door that accidentally got pushed down while going through the drive-thru at the bank. It unlocked (they ALL unlocked) but when I took my hand away, they all locked up again! Repeats over and over again! Tried to hold the lock UP long enough to pull the door handle open but no can do! Rolled down the window, put the key in the keyhole OUTSIDE the door and tried several times that way. NO LUCK!

Thank God for cell phones...I called the restaurant, told them I was outside their front door, asked for curbside delivery (not normally offered) which they promptly brought out...called the local dealership that sells my brand of car...they had never heard of such a thing happening before! I said, "I'll be right over so maybe you can help me get out of my car...I'm too old to climb out the window!" The serviceman tried several times to no avail! Was I to be doomed to sleep in my car overnight or, worse yet, till the battery ran down?

Finally, a miracle happened! The locks stood at attention and I was able to step out of the car! We went inside the shop where he found the number for the dealership in Louisville, KY where I purchased the car new. That dealership had installed a unique security system that the local man figured was somehow the cause for my problem. Alas, they had all left for the day in Louisville...being EDT there.

Well, I got back in my car, hoping and praying I would be able to get out again when I got home. Oh no! It happened again! I called the local shop to pick the man's brain as to what he may have done to get it to stay open an hour before. All he could think was that he had tried the key in the lock at least five times. Maybe that would do it!

Another miracle happened! Five turns of the key DID do it, and just in time to get inside to the powder room!

This morning I had forgotten about the drama of yesterday until later in the day when IT HAPPENED AGAIN! This time five turns of the key didn't work...but ten was the magic number this time! And this time I was at the Laundromat so after I got my clothes in the washer I remembered I had better call Louisville again and see if they knew anything. NOT AGAIN! They had already left for the day!

Well, there's always tomorrow...just hope I don't have to climb INTO my car to get to work!

Angie

****

Wow. Is there an epidemic out there? Are our vehicles turning against us?

No comments: