Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Whoa, Hail!



Man alive. You've never seen anything like it before. Well, at least I never have.

The day had been so pleasant. The grands and I had played a little soft ball (well, practiced some hitting) and had ever such a good time.

But within a few minutes of fun outdoor play, this storm blows up. Kayla, Levi, Trinity, and I were looking our my bedroom windows toward the backyard, watching the horrific wind stirring the trees. If this had been in Iowa, we'd have been ducking for cover. The sky was blackish-green. In the midwest this is a sign of tornadoes! But here in Swaziland, we've only heard of one tornado in its history. So we weren't concerned about a tornado.

Suddenly, five or six huge (softball sized) white things come slamming into the yard. My first thought was they were blossoms from a nearby tree, then I realized blossoms would flutter, not slam. As we were contemplating whether they were hail stones that size, the next batch came. Then the next. And for 20-30 minutes we were battered and beat with hail stones ranging in size from golfball to baseball. Crashing onto the roof and smashing into a zillion little ice chunks. Destroying everything in its path.

Leaving the gutters full of holes. The vehicle we have been driving with a broken (completely shattered) back window, cracked and near-to-broken windshield. Huge pock marks all over the top, hood, and sides. Some hail even taking the paint off.

The kids were somewhere between awe and excitement and terror. (The excitement won.) It was LOUD. There was a lot of lightning further up the mountain (from the later reports we heard) and 30 goats on the hillside were killed by a strike. Newspaper said five people were killed. Multiple homes totally destroyed. Thousands of cars ruined. Windshields broken.

I'm sure there are dazed cows everywhere--still wondering what happened.

And some of the newspaper photos of uprooted trees makes me wonder if there hadn't actually been a tornado touch down...

Ben and Susan's fibreglass veranda roof is full of baseball-sized holes. Their gutters are like sieves.

Kayla said it reminded her of the Egyptian's plague. Right on. I'd never imagined that particular plague as such a nasty thing.

Now I know.


(I let Kayla go outside and collect this golfball sized stone after we knew for sure the storm was over.)

7 comments:

Karl said...

wow, what a report. Aren't you guys in the middle of summer? Sounds like someone doesn't like what you are doing down there.

Love - Karl

Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck
cash for old cars sydney

Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but aftr I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
car wreckers logan

Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
old car removal sydney

Max Cash For Cars said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for scrap cars caboolture

cashforcarsremoval brisbane said...

Oh, waw it’s beautiful and unique content I like it very much you must post your new post soon thank you If you want to sell your old cars or vehicles you can contact us we are cash for cars Brisbane we are always here to deal you professionally Brisbane wrecker

Best Cash For Cars Brisbane said...

Thank you for your post, which has provided me with a great deal of inspiration. I have gained a lot of idea thanks to your post, and I am so grateful for your work! Please check out our services: Cash For Cars Brisbane, Cash For Cars Logan, and Cash for Cars Ipswich.