Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas Shopping in South Africa

You want to know what's really weird?

Christmas shopping in the summer time.

Susan and I were in this really nice "Bed, Bath and Beyond" sort of place, but South African, called Mr Price Home.

It is one of those places that makes me drool, just like BB&B does.

The crazy thing that my mind had a hard time getting around was this: One display of lovely Christmas stockings, pine greenery, wreaths, miscellaneous ornaments (including snowmen), and the like, were situated right next to the beautiful display of neon greens and oranges and yellows--lawn chairs, outdoor cookery equipment, sunshade bonnets, umbrellas and plastic picnic dishes.

Being born and raised in Iowa where the Christmases are extremely WINTER and COLD, this summer display was hard for my brain to accept.

To confuse me further, the shopping music from the store's sound system was playing, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas..." But dream was all anyone here could do.

One step outside confirmed the summer. One glance at the calendar confirmed Christmas.

Not too bad. I think I could get used to it.

No comments: