Monday, December 05, 2005

A New Pal




We are in Swaziland now. The calendar says December. The weather says July.

Today we celebrated the first of several Children's Cup CarePoint Christmas Parties. This campus is the biggest of all that we have in Swaziland. Several hundred kids are fed here daily. Today there were two jumping castles (like the space walk blowup jumping things) filled with giggling, shouting kids.

There were games and fried chicken and presents for everyone, including gifts for the grandmothers and other volunteers who help make it all work to help the kids. And, of course, plenty of candy to wire up everyone.

There was this one little kid...a baby girl, just learning to walk. She stole my heart. At first, when I tried to take her picture, she burst into tears. But, if you know me, you know I didn't give up. I kept peeking at her and waving and smiling. Finally she worked her way closer. And then came to me! I held her on my lap, and she let me hug and pat her.

Before long, she was my pal, even putting her head on my shoulder and cuddling.

I had no idea who she belonged to. It seemed she had been passed from one big kid to another during the time I'd been there. So I just carried her around with me while I took pictures of the stuff going on at the party. Soon she began to pat back...I had finger-printed glasses to prove it!

When we had to leave, I hated to just put her down on the grass. I asked around and found she was there with her grandmother who is one of the volunteer cooks.

Reluctuantly, I gave her up, into the arms of a loving granny.

But most of the kids there today are without parents...without someone to hold them, wipe their noses, tell them that they are important. They have no one to tuck them into bed at night and help them say their prayers. No one to kiss the hurts...

That's why Children's Cup is here in Swaziland. Not to physically remove them from their lives, (even though that sounds like a good idea sometimes!) but to help them and teach them about Someone who cares about them, and loves them. One who will give them hope for tomorrow. Who will bring peace and joy.

Isn't that what Christmas is about? That awesome Joy and Peace that comes with knowing Jesus.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who help make Hope available to them.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

She is so cute!

It is so so amazing and so encouraging all the things that are happening in Swaziland.

Your post are so good! They give such perfect imagery!

Jean Ohlerking said...

thanks for the kind words, stephanie. maybe God will let you come to swaziland one day and help us here.

Stephanie said...

:-)....God willing