Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My Mom

I just received word from my brother that my mom has died.

I'm sad. But I'm glad for her.

She went quietly, in her sleep--the way we all sort of hope to cross over into eternity.

She was a solidly born again believer--for over 76 years.

Dad and Mom have been in a care facility for about a year. Both having memory problems.

But they knew both of us (Dave and me) when we last visited shortly before coming to Swaziland. Mom had trouble putting words together to form a sentence, but I could almost always help her by figuring out what she was trying to say (I think it's that female thing).

They had celebrated their 70th anniversary in April this year. She was 88.

I learned the basic stuff daughters learn from moms--cooking (though I've never been as good a cook as she was), cleaning (you could eat off the floor, but you'd better not try!), shopping, driving, mothering my babies, and most importantly of all, serving Jesus.

My three brothers and I played musical instruments along with Mom on the guitar, Dad on the saxophone. Our first family "performance" was at Berean Assembly of God, in the basement before the upstairs was finished, playing "Mansion Over the Hilltop."

Although Mom ministred mostly in music, she was also a servant of giving...she'd do laundry, bake cakes, take meals to widows, babysit for young moms needing a break...

I'm sitting here in Africa wishing I could be there with the family right now. We have a call in to the travel agent, hoping to find a seat or two on a flight going to Iowa (hard time of the year to do so). But I know being here as a missionary is with the blessing of both parents. They have been our biggest spiritual supporters. I'll miss her prayers...

When she fell and broke her hip a over year ago now, I went to the hospital to see her. It was night...no other visitors were there. I gave her a handful of little love gifts, a magazine of cookie recipes, some warm socks, a nighty, and some chocolate candy. She was glad to see me, but very tired. I held her hand and prayed with her, patted her head, stroked her gray hair, and sang to her as she went to sleep. "All night, all day, angels watching over me..." When I left the room, she was sleeping.

The next few times I saw them both was at the care center. I'm so glad the people there are loving and kind. They really showed tenderness and love to my parents. For that I am grateful. It's so hard not being so far away when I thnk of that.

My concern goes to my 91-year-old dad now. Questions arise...will he understand that she died? How will he handle it? How long do we have him? Will he just grieve to death? God is still God...He is able and will help my dad through this.

And then I think of Mom...she doesn't have the problems with forming sentences now. She's praising God in perfect words. She's not hobbling around on a patched-up hip. I can almost hear her singing...

And just maybe she's finally getting to sing with Vestal Goodman!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

<3 Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mother. It sounds like she was a wonderful mom and wife. God bless you and your family as you deal with your loss.

Josh

David Russell said...

Praying for you and your family over the loss of your mom. A God-centered heritage is so valuable.

We will keep your dad in special prayer as well, that God will give him peace and understanding.

Your tribute to your mom is heart-stirring.

Jean Ohlerking said...

thanks to all of you for your kind, warm words. it means so very much...

theinnerprocess said...

Jean,

So sorry to hear about your mom. Please know that Melissa and I are praying for you during this time. I know it is comforting to you to know The Source of comfort and it is so good to know that "mom" is seeing Him now face to face! I'm enjoying the journey, but can't wait to get there!

Carole Turner said...

I choked up reading your memories of your mom. I am jelous, you had a great mom and your children have a great mom too because of her. You are very fortunate and are passing on a wonderful God centered legacy. I look at families like yours and know that what I had (which wasn't good) stops here, Dean and I both know that we have to pass on generational blessings not curses and praise God that is so possible with Him.."behold all things are made new!" In your lose and rememberance of your mom,know that you encouraged this mother to be a better mother. Even in death your mom is impacting a life. Thank you and God bless all the generations of your family.

The Youngs said...

Momma Jean. We just wanted to let you know that Kristen and I have been praying for you and that if you need anything let us know. Its hard to see your mother are father pass away. My dad is 84 years old and this christmas was really rough. He is diagnosed with alztimer and its hard to see the people you love go through things like that. But the one thing that keeps me going and I know keeps you going is that your mother now is with her father and lived a wonderful full life sharing her love to you and everybody else. We love you and again if you need anything just let us know.

Fazha said...

Mrs Jean, sorry to hear about your loss. By your description, your mother seems like an incredible woman. Me and Jamie's prayers are with you. I know your mother has entered into her reward.