Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Knight in Shining Armor Part 3


At first it may be really hard to let go of the reins and hand them back to him. You may actually be better at some of the judgments and decisions. But if you’ll just give God a chance, He can teach your Knight how to do stuff right.

I don’t think God means for wives to grovel. I think wives should express their ideas and opinions. However, the final decision belongs to the Knight. If he makes a huge mistake, God won’t hold you responsible for it. Quite the contrary, He will honor you for honoring your husband. If the mistake hurts both of you, your husband will suffer twice the hurt because he sees he made you suffer. But he will learn.

In your obedience to the Word, one day you will find yourself greatly relieved of a heavy burden you were never meant to carry.

In our marriages the shine must come from the Holy Spirit who is our teacher, our guide, our comforter. That shine comes when we both learn to listen to His voice.

I am convinced that as wives obey the Word, and show honor for and respect to their husbands, the Holy Spirit is freed to do a wonderful work in the marriage.

My husband is not perfect (he just read this over and expressed his dismay at this statement). But he’s truly my Knight in Shining Armor.

He doesn’t do the dishes. But he does take his dirty plate to the sink. He doesn’t do laundry. But he does put his dirty clothes in the right place. He doesn’t cook (except in the microwave). But he never complains about anything I’ve placed before him, and he’s always ready to hand out compliments for the meal. He may not be much of a handyman around the house, but he makes sure repairs are done (usually hired out) right. He may not talk much, but he sure can express himself on paper.

He pays the bills. He keeps food on the table. He keeps clothes on our backs. He makes wise decisions. He helps me through rough spots. He writes me the sweetest notes. He has the strongest loving arms…

Sure, there are things we’d like to change about each other—but after 48 years I think we have both learned to accept the strange differences and get on with life. And sometimes the things we’d like to change are really not “wrong” things—just different than we’d envisioned.

Learn to live with the differences and actually embrace them. Maybe even laugh together about them. Those are simply the colors in the crest on the breastplate of his armor.

Stand back and take another look.

You really do have a Knight in Shining Armor. God just isn’t finished with him yet.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Ohmygosh! That was so awesome! I'm liking the post progression! I don't think I've said anything yet, so...

HAPPY (LATE or BELATED) ANNIVERSERY!!!!!!!

Jean Ohlerking said...

Thanks, Jamie, for your comments. I think I'm finished with that particular "sermon" now.

And thanks for the anniversary wishes. It was a great day, and actually, continues to be a great year--a great life! God has really blessed me. Awesome husband, outstanding kids (with really cool spouses), and the best grandkids in the world!